Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Maple Syrup

Maple Syrup is an item that is not typically found overseas. We can purchase Canadian Maple Syrup...the original stuff, but it's quite expensive, and I'm not that fond of the flavor. It's not often that I make pancakes or french toast, so not having another item to clog up the small refrigerator is fine with me.

Colleagues had told me about making maple syrup from scratch, and although skeptical, I was willing to try it out. One of our colleagues gave me her recipe and a small bottle of maple flavoring.

I found this recipe recently at The Homespun Heart, and tried it out. It came out well, and filled one canning jar worth. I'm going to keep this one jar, and make more jars as presents. I'm thinking that this would make a cute Christmas gift (with the recipe attached) for our American friends living in Vienna.

No comments: