Saturday, March 22, 2008

Poppy Seed Bread

Tomorrow morning at church we are having a Breakfast before the service. I signed up to take mini muffins, using the pans I received as a Christmas gift. This is the type of thing that I've been wanting to use the pans for!

I baked two kinds of mini muffins - poppy seed and apple.

Then, I figured that since the oven was warm and I was home, I would bake some Poppy Seed Bread loaves. Stacey, a friend here in Vienna, made these at Christmas time. I received a loaf from her as a gift - thanks again! I had frozen ours, and we enjoyed it later in January.

I decided to make a couple loaves of these and freeze them for use later in May or June. I've been thinking ahead to plan "freezer meals" for after the birth of our little one. And, I was thinking that these would be great to have as something for when guests stop by.

Poppy Seed Bread Recipe
3 cups flour
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/8 cups vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons each of vanilla, almond extract and butter flavoring

Glaze
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 teaspoon each of vanilla, almond extract and butter flavoring

Mix all the ingredients together for 1-2 minutes with an electric mixer. Put batter in 2 large loaf pans or 4 small ones; bake for 45-one hour in 350 degree oven. Right after I (Stacey) take them out of the oven, I pour the glaze over the top of the bread, while it is still in the pan...then it seeps into the warm bread. Remove from pan when cooled completely.

No comments: